Welcome!



Hello, I'm
Matthew Romo (1660) from Group 2. The other embers of my group are Harry Kettenis (0390), Josh Stevenson (0796) and Ysabel Hudson-Searle (0331).

Hopefully navigation should not be an issue on my blog; 'labels' on the right hand side near the top will direct you to groups of posts from specific areas. Research and Planning, Production, and Evaluation work should all be available to see under their respective A2 labels. The other labels will direct you to work from my AS level and preliminary activities for A2.

Also, by clicking on the "Latymer Music Video Blog" link above the labels, you can go back to Latymer's main music video blog where all other blogs from my class can be accessed.

Finally, I hope you enjoy observing and assessing my work as much as I did creating it.


Our Digipak Cover

Our Digipak Cover
Our Digipak Cover

Our Website

Our Website (Text)

Our Website - Click on the branding above to enter

Our Music Video

Our Music Video (Text)

Our Music Video

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Our Track


After a lot of discussion, contemplating, and listening, we chose 'Teen Spirit' by SZA.

   



Key points about the song and why we chose it:

  • It fit our shared desire to make a video for a slow tempo but powerful track containing emotion - we could envisage creating a video for it
  • Slow but intense beat, soulful vocals, ambient, atmospheric sound, and artistic lyrics fit our idea of a style heavy on concept with loose narrative
  • It is of the R&B subgenre known as 'PBR&B', containing elements of R&B, hip-hop, soul, and aspects of dubstep, which we felt was what we wanted for our track
  • We felt there was a gap in the market for a British PBR&B release (see 'Our Artist' post)
  • Potential for strong female identity and vocal performance, working to a strength of our group, having Yssy as an aspiring actor who is capable in front of camera 
  • The track has sections of building up, breaking down to only vocals and ambient sounds, and dropping into its beat, lifting the track and providing us with scope to work with, allowing for changes in mood and narrative without becoming repetitive

In relation to the actual task:

  • We were able to edit the censored, clean radio version over the split second where the song's only profanity is
  • Teen Spirit is a non album single song with no chart performance
  • It is contemporary and within a popular alternative genre, and of a marketable culture (see 'Our Audience' post)
  • Hiphop, alternative R&B, dubstep and soul, the genres it breaks down into interlink with what would feature on our record label (see Record Label post)
  • Long intro and outro that do not vary much make it easy to cut slightly into the beginning and fade out into the end to keep within 3 minutes



Lyrics (taken from RapGenius, where the meanings are broken down):

Verse 1:

Ice under my heels, I hear it breaking

Under my heels, I hear it cracking

Foolish of me to think I had it
Emmanuel, how foolish of me!
To think I had it..
I hear your voice behind me
Moving up my neck
I hear you talking
Creeping on my shoulder
I hear you breathing
In my head I hear you screaming
Just do it..

Hook
Yeah yeah, I feel you talking
Yeah yeah I feel you moving
Yeah yeah let's do it already
Yeah yeah..

Verse 2
Chipping away at boulders
I conquer fire
40 days 40 nights
No New Star
Fuck your Third Eye!
I be the One
Neo of the Sun
Give me simplicity
To lonely seems like real fun
I feel you
Creeping up my leg I hear you talking
Moving on my shoulder I hear you breathing
In my head I hear you screaming
Just do it

Bridge
Don't come close
Don't come close
You don't even know me, know me
Don't come close
Don't come close

Pre-Hook
You don't even know me
You think you know me
Yeah yeah, I feel ya talking
Yeah yeah, I feel ya moving
Lets do it already
Mmhmm yeah yeah
Yeah yeah, I feel ya talking
Yeah yeah, I feel ya moving
Lets do it already
Mmhmm, yeah yeah

Dont come close
Dont come close
You dont even know me, know
Come close, Dont come close
You dont even know me
You think you know me, yeah
You dont even know me
You think you know me, yeah
You dont even know me, know me
You think you know me
Yeah yeah
Yeah yeah
Yeah yeah
Aww yeah



Our choice became dictated slightly by the choice of artist, but not to our detriment. One of our original song ideas was The Weeknd's cover version of Michael Jackson's 'Dirty Diana', however despite the fact it was a cover, the stardom-type nature of the song made it slightly inappropriate for the task, especially since the artist had vocals at times indistinguishable from the original version. We were led by our decision to find a track sung by a female artist, and our group had a strong consensus over Teen Spirit.


Copyright



The artist SZA technically has ownership of the track, as it was released prior to her signing to Top Dawg Entertainment, rather than after this. Josh took the initiative to attempt contact SZA asking for permission to use the track, for the sake of the task's rules:




This was attempted on Facebook also. So far we have received no reply.


No comments:

Post a Comment